- Leaf vegetables
This spicy pilaf is flavoured with Indian spices and made with quinoa rather than rice for added protein.
1 person made this
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds (jeera)
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin (jeera)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground coriander (dhana)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon minced ginger
- 3/4 teaspoon minced Thai chilli pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon pav bhaji masala
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric (haldi)
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 1/2 vine-ripened tomatoes, diced
- 120g finely chopped fresh spinach
- 700ml water
- 250g uncooked quinoa
- 45g chopped fresh coriander, or to taste
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges
MethodPrep:15min ›Cook:20min ›Ready in:35min
- Heat olive oil in a large wok over medium heat. Add cumin seeds and let sizzle for 30 seconds. Add garlic, ground cumin, coriander, chilli powder, ginger, chilli pepper, pav bhaji masala and turmeric; saute until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Stir in onion; saute until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in tomatoes and cook for a few minutes. Mix in spinach; cook until wilted, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Pour water and quinoa into the wok; simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until water is absorbed, 8 to 12 minutes. Garnish with freshly chopped coriander and lemon wedges.