- Dish type
- Vegetable salad
- Cabbage salad
This is definitely spicy but you can lessen the heat by leaving out the jalapeno chilli peppers. Serve by itself, with meat or use as a filling for homemade spring rolls.
10 people made this
- 1 head Chinese green leaves, such as pak choy, finely shredded
- 1 cucumber, seeded and finely shredded
- 3 carrots, peeled and finely shredded
- 5 Scotch bonnet chilli peppers, seeded and finely shredded
- 5 jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped
- 180ml cider vinegar
- 4 tablespoons wholegrain mustard
- 4 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons agave syrup
- pinch ground ginger
- pinch freshly black pepper, to taste
MethodPrep:30min ›Ready in:30min
- Place the shredded pak choy or Chinese green leaves, cucumber, carrots and Scotch bonnet chilli peppers into a large salad bowl.
- Place the jalapeno chilli peppers into the work bowl of a food processor, then pour in the vinegar, mustard, soy sauce and syrup. Pulse several times, then process for a few seconds to combine. Pour the dressing over the vegetables and toss. Refrigerate from 1 hour to overnight.
- Before serving, sprinkle with roasted ginger and black pepper; toss again to serve.
Reviews & ratingsAverage global rating:(13)
Reviews in English (12)
by Kym Cox Surridge
Great, bold flavor! I omitted the jalapeno (I'm pregnant and can't tolerate super spicy right now) and subbed a few shakes of red pepper flakes, and I used fresh ginger because I don't have ground, and baby bok choy because it's what I had from the CSA. I used half the dressing, and that was plenty. I think the dressing really makes this salad--it's tangy and mustardy, but not overpowering. This would also be great with cabbage instead of bok choy. A definite keeper!-03 Oct 2010
Sensational dressing! I adore spicy food and this hit the spot. Spicy-hot, tangy and slightly sweet; perfect side dish, but it would be fantastic on a hamburger, burrito, soft tacos, wraps, noodle soup and more. I used cabbage and serrano peppers. Will definitely make again to share! Thanks JWM!-25 Apr 2011